With 21,000 route miles in 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian provinces, Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day to over 1,200 train stations. Their train stations were in need of improved lighting conditions and energy savings.
For example the previous lighting at the New Carrollton station in Maryland consisted of 100-400 watt mercury vapor and metal halide downlights mounted 10-15’ high, as well as, wall-mount cylinders. These lighting fixtures were on 24/7 offering poor lighting conditions and were expensive to maintain. Upgrading to LED and the simple installation of the LumenOptix™ LRD and CLS provided over 75% in energy-saving and requires no maintenance.
- 8” LRD, LED Retrofit Downlight,4000 lumens,4000k
- 10” CLS, LED Cylinder Surface Light, 2000 lumens,3500k
- Saving $126,000 annually in energy costs at the New Carrollton Station
- Increased light output by well over 50%
- Improved color rendering with >80 CRI
- Each fixture took less than 10 minutes each to install
- Annual Energy Savings 75% (=$126,000 annually)